This recipe is a version of Tandoori Chicken recipe that you can make without a tandoor or electric tandoor or microwave oven. Basically, you will need a frying pan with a lid to prepare this yummy dish. You may use boneless chicken or chicken on bone to prepare this. Depending on the chicken you will use, the procedure of preparation may vary slightly.
Tandoor is a type of metallic cylindrical oven. There are few places where a pit is dug in the ground and a Tandoor is made. The heat is generated using charcoal or wood. The smoky flavour of wood/charcoal infuses with the preparation and the taste enhances. But never mind, I have a trick in which you will get the same flavour as in take aways. Let us start making the yummy Tandoori Chicken.
- Chicken – 1kg
- Salt – 1 tsp
- Ginger paste – 1 tsp
- Garlic paste – 1 tsp
- Vinegar – ¼ cup
- Water – ¼ cup
- Salt – to taste
- Red Chilli powder – 1 tsp
- Coriander powder – 1 tsp
- Cumin powder – 1 tsp
- Turmeric powder – ¼ tsp
- Dry ginger powder – ½ tsp
- Garam masala powder – 1 tsp
- Black pepper powder – 1 tsp
- Cardamom powder (green) – ½ tsp
- Cardamom powder (brown) – ¼ tsp (optional)
- Cinnamon powder – ¼ tsp
- Cloves (powdered) – ½ tsp
- Bay leaf (sautéed and ground to a powder) – ¼ tsp
- Fenugreek leaves (sautéed and ground to a powder) – ¼ tsp
- Curd – 1 cup
- Red food colour – ¼ tsp
- Oil – for shallow frying
- If you are using chicken on bone, pressure cook the chicken for 2 whistles along with water, vinegar, salt and ginger garlic paste.
- If you are using boneless chicken, simply marinate chicken with salt and ginger garlic paste and juice of half a lemon and keep aside.
- From here onwards the recipe for both types of chicken will be the same.
- Marinate the chicken with other ingredients that is red chili powder, turmeric powder, Coriander powder, Cumin powder, garam masala powder, black pepper powder, cardamom powders, cinnamon powder, cloves powder, bay leaf powder, fenugreek powder, red food colour, oil and Curd.
- Keep it in this marination for good two hours or more.
- In a frying pan / grill pan, add butter, 1 tsp oil (we are adding oil because we do not want the butter to burn) now add the chicken pieces.
- Cover and cook them till one side is brown or till it is charred (as you like it). Flip them over and sear the other side as well. Remove from heat.
- Add the cooked pieces in a big bowl.
- Heat a piece of charcoal, place it in a small bowl. Add 2 cloves to it.
- Place this bowl in the bigger one, add a tsp of oil or ghee to it and cover upto 5 minutes. Remove this smaller bowl and discard the charcoal and clove.
- Serve this Tandoori Chicken with Butter Naan and Green Chutney.
Note 1 : The chicken on bone takes a lot of time to cook when compared to boneless chicken, that is the reason, we will boil it. (pressure cook it) before marinating and grilling.
Note 2 : If you add all the ingredients mentioned in my recipe, you will not need the Tandoori masala that you get in stores.
Note 3 : Marination should be kept for minimum of an hour or two. The longer you marinate the chicken, the better the taste will be.
Note 4 : You can keep the chicken in the marination overnight if you have a party next day, grill them just before serving.
Note 5 : You should not deep fry the chicken, add very little oil and butter to the pan. I recommend you to use non-stick pan or heavy bottomed pan or grill pan for shallow frying/ grilling the chicken pieces.