Instant Spongy Dhokla in 15 Minutes
Dhokla is one among the various recipes that comes from Gujarat (India). Your happiness will have no bounds if your dhokla comes out spongy. The secret to making a spongy dhokla is adding appropriate amount of ingredients and proper whisking of batter. In this article, Instant Spongy dhokla recipe, I have not added curd, even then the dhokla was good in taste. This article will help you in preparing Instant Spongy dhokla without Steamer or Microwave in just 15 minutes.
Also Check: Bagaar-e-Baigan Recipe
The specialty of recipes that comes from Gujarat is that one can have as much as they want without gaining much weight as it does not involve the addition of fats. We can have it at anytime of the day as snacks or during breakfast based on our appetite. These dishes are easily digestible because the dishes are made using simple ingredients, which are mostly available in every kitchen. There are few exceptional cases who cannot digest these dishes because gram flour is added in most recipes, those are the people who are allergic to it and face problems like stomach ache after having it.
You may like: Veg/Non-Veg Shavarma
There are varieties of gujarati recipes, there are variations in those recipes too, for example, dhokla, khaman dhokla, suji dhokla, rava dhokla, white dhokla, besan dhokla and the list goes on. You might have seen dhokla in microwave, it surely saves time but everyone does not have a microwave at home. That is the reason, I am showing you how to make dhokla at home in a pan.
Preparation time: 5 minutes | Cooking time: 15 minutes | Total time: 20 minutes.
Preparation of the Batter
- Gram flour – 1 cup
- Salt – 3/4 tsp
- Turmeric powder – 1/2 tsp
- Green chillies – 2 (chopped)
- Water 1 – cup
- Eno/ Fruitsalt- 5 gms
- Red Chilli powder – a pinch
For the tempering
- Oil 1 – tbsp
- Curry leaves – 10 to 12
- Green chillies – 2 slit
- Mustard seeds – 1 tsp
- Water – 1 cup
- Salt – a pinch
- Sugar – 1 tsp
- Few chopped coriander leaves
Also Check: Homemade Sauce Recipes
Preparation of Batter
- In a mixing bowl, add a cup of gram flour, salt, turmeric and green chillies.
- Give it a mix, add water and make a smooth batter.
- Grease a container with oil, also grease the sides of it.
- To the prepared batter, add Eno or any other fruit salt that is available. If it is not available, you can also use a teaspoon of baking powder instead of Eno.
- Give it a mix, you will observe that the consistency of the batter has changed.
- Add 3 to 4 tbsp of water to obtain the consistency as it was before.
- Transfer the prepared batter to the greased container.
- Sprinkle a pinch of red chilli powder.
Steaming the Batter
- Take a heavy bottomed Pan and add a glass of water
- Place the container in the pan and cover it.
- Cook/Steam the batter on medium flame for 15 minutes.
Preparation of the Tempering
- In the meanwhile, we can prepare the tempering.
- In a pan, add a tbsp of oil, also add curry leaves, slit green chillies and mustard seeds.
- When the mustard seeds splutter, add a cup of water, season with salt and a tsp of sugar.
- Wait for it to boil and add coriander leaves. Keep this mixture aside.
- After 15 minutes, check on to the batter that was on steam.
- Insert a toothpick or the back of a spoon, if it comes out clean, that means its done. Take the container out of the heavy bottomed pan, let it settle for 2 minutes.
- Add the prepared tempering onto the steamed batter.
- Cut it into required shape and size.
Serving and Garnishing
- Serve with green chutney or any other condiment.
- You may garnish the instant dhokla with shredded coconut too.
Also Check: Snack Recipes