Step-by-Step Procedure to prepare Mutton Harees
Harees, also called Haleem by some people is a delicacy mostly served in open stalls during the auspicious month of Ramzan (Ramadhan). It comes in two varieties, Chicken Haleem and Mutton Haleem. It is an Arabic Dish, it came to Hyderabad during the Nizam’s Rule. The Hyderabadi Haleem is very famous now, especially people fall for Pista House Haleem. In this article, I have mentioned Step-by-Step Procedure to prepare Mutton Harees. I have shown a method where the already available Haleem Rava is used. The Haleem Rava consists of wheat and blend of spices. There is another way where you can use wheat and soak it over night and prepare this dish.
At stalls, there are big pits dug in the ground and a stove is made, it is called ‘Bhatti’. A week before the start of Ramzan, these Bhattis are made. All along the month of Ramzan, the delicacy is prepared and served till late night. People stand outside the hotels and have it. Now-a-days, Hotel Managements are hiring people especially to serve Harees at take-aways during the month. Let us take a look at the haleem recipe.
Also Check: Hyderabadi Bagaar-e-Baigan Recipe
- Mutton – 1 kg
- Garam Masala – 1 tsp
For daals (lentils)
- Maash Daal (Split Black Gram) – 1tbsp
- Chana Daal (Split Bengal Gram) – 1tbsp
For Cooking the Rava
- Haleem Rava – 400 gm
- Daalchini (Cinnamon) – 1/2 inch piece
- Kababchini – 8 to 10
- Laung (Cloves) – 10
- Kali mirch (Black pepper) – 8
- Water – to cook the Rava
For Khorma Gravy
- Oil – 50 gms
- Onions – 1/4 kg
- Ginger paste – 1 tsp
- Garlic paste – 1 tsp
- Red Chilli powder – 1 tsp
- Turmeric powder – a pinch
- Curd – 1 cup
- Badam (Almonds) – 1
- Chironji (charoli) – 1 tbsp
- Khush Khush (poppy seeds) – 1 tbsp
- Coconut (grated) – 2 tbsp
- Coriander Leaves – 1 bunch
- Green Chillies – 10
Also Check: Hyderabad’s Famous Red Chicken Recipe
Procedure for the Mutton Haleem
Procedure to prepare the masaala
- Dry roast Coconut, Chironji, khush khush.
- Grind it to a paste along with Coriander leaves and Green Chillies.
Procedure to Cook the Daals
- Soak the lentils in water for 30 minutes.
- Pressure cook the lentils for 2 to 3 whistles, along with water and a pinch of salt.
Procedure to Cook the Haleem Rava
- In a big vessel, add the ingredients mentioned in the Rava Section and boil it till the Rava is completely cooked.
- Cool and grind it to smooth paste.
Procedure for preparing the Khorma
- Heat oil in another pressure cooker and fry onions till light brown.
- Now add Ginger paste, garlic paste and stir till the entire mixture turns brown.
- Add salt, red chill powder, turmeric powder and Mutton.
- Cook till the Mutton turns pale.
- Add 1 glass of water to this, close the lid and pressure cook till 5 whistles.
- Remove the lid, add the curd and the prepared masala.
- Stir and simmer till oil separates.
- Shred the Mutton pieces in the cooked itself. (You may even grind it if you are using boneless mutton and transfer the ground meat to the cooker.)
- Now to that, add 2 glasses of water and simmer it for 10 minutes.
- Mix the ground lentils paste, ground rava with the prepared khorma.
- Stir, stir, stir! Till everything becomes homogeneous.
- Adjust the consistency and check for the seasoning.
- Garnish with ghee, fried onions and fried cashews.
- Top it with coriander leaves and boiled egg. Serve hot.
Also Check: Chicken Mandi Recipe