EASY DUM KA CHICKEN
- Chicken – ½ kg
- Curd – 1 cup
- Salt – to taste
- Red food colour – 1 tsp (optional)
- Ginger paste – 1 tsp
- Garlic paste – 1 tsp
- Coriander powder – 1 tsp
- Cumin powder – 1 tsp
- Garam Masala powder – 1 tsp
- Lemon juice – 2 tbsp
- Green chillies – 2 (chopped)
To make a marination paste
- Oil – 2 tsp
- Onion – 3 (sliced)
- Chironji – 1 tbsp
- Khash khash (poppy seeds) – 1 tbsp
- Badam (almonds) – 6 to 8
- Kaju (cashew) – 6 to 8
- Daalchini (cinnamon) – 1
- Dry Coconut (sliced or grated) – 2 tbsp
- Cloves – 5
- Cardamom powdered – ½ tsp
- Wash the chicken. (mostly chicken on bone is considered to be apt for this dish, I have used boneless chicken)
- Marinate the chicken with salt, ginger garlic paste, Coriander powder, Cumin powder, Garam Masala powder and Lemon juice. Set aside for 10 minutes.
- In a pan, add 1 tsp oil, add the sliced onions. Fry till it turns light brown. Remove from heat and set aside.
- In the same pan, add almonds, cashews, grated/sliced coconut, Chironji, khash khash, daalchini, cloves and saute till the almonds turn brown. Remove the sauted spices from heat and let them cool.
- Grind the fried onions and sauted spices to a smooth paste.
- You will require small amount of water to make it into smooth paste because of the khash khash.
- To the marinated chicken, add Curd and the prepared paste, add 1/2 tsp of cardamom powder.
- Keep the chicken in this marination for at least 20 minutes.
- In a large pan, add oil, add few chopped green chillies and drop in the chicken along with the marination sauce.
- Cover with lid and cook for 5 to 10 minutes.
- As the chicken is boneless, it will cook fast. If you are using chicken on bone, pressure cook the chicken along with the marination for 2 to 3 whistles.
- Remove the lid and stir it. Stir occasionally making sure the chicken does not stick to the pan.
- Cook until the oil separates.
- In a bowl, add the heated charcoal, add oil and cover with lid.
- Let the smoky flavour incorporate with the spiced chicken.
- Garnish with chopped Coriander leaves and green Chilli.
- Serve hot with roti, paratha or rice.
Also Check: Hyderabadi Chicken Biryani Recipe