Biryani, is a word that arises our appetite. Biryani is famous worldwide and there are many variations made to this dish by many people depending on their location. There are many types of biryani – veg biryani/vegetable biryani, mushroom biryani, egg biryani, mutton biryani, chicken biryani, fish biryani, prawns biryani, special hyderabadi biryani, dum biryani and the list goes on.
In this article, I present to you the delicious hyderabadi biryani without using the readymade biryani masala. The richness and proper blending of spices with the chicken in this chicken biryani recipe will make you go awe. Lets learn how to make chicken biryani.
Cooking time : 30 minutes | Preparation time : 60 minutes | Total time : 90 minutes
Also Check: Mutton Haleem Recipe
- Chicken – 1 kg
- Salt – 2 tsp
- Ginger Garlic paste – 2tsp
- Green chillies and coriander paste – 1 tsp
- Onion – ¼ kg
- Oil for deep frying the onions
- Curd – ¼ kg
- Lemon – 2 (extract the juice and keep aside)
- Oil – ½ cup
- Turmeric powder – ¼ tsp
- Coriander leaves – 1 bunch (chopped)
For Preparing Rice
- Basmati rice – 1 ½ kg
- Water – so as to cover the rice
- Salt – 1 tsp
- Bay leaf – 1
- Cloves – 3
- Cinnamon stick – 1 inch
- Black peppercorns – 2
- Star anise – 1
- Oil – 2 tbsp
Extra Requirements (Optional)
- Milk – 4 tbsp
- Food Colour – orange
- Food Colour – yellow
- Coriander leaves (for garnishing)
- Mint leaves (for garnishing)
- Deep fried onions (for garnishing)
Also Check: Homemade Sauce Recipes
- Clean and Wash the chicken properly.
- Marinate the Chicken pieces with salt and ginger garlic paste for 30 minutes to an hour, this is our first marination. These step-by-step marinations will make our chicken absorb all the juices.
- The chicken may release some amount of water, if so, discard the excess water.
- For the second marination, first deep fry the onions in required amount of oil and crush it after it cools down. Next, take a bunch of coriander and 4-5 green chillies and make a paste out of it.
- Add the fried, crushed onions and the freshly made green chillies and coriander paste.
- Keep the second marination for half an hour.
- Finally, for the third marination, add curd, lemon juice, oil, coriander powder, turmeric powder and coriander leaves. Keep this till the rice is prepared.
Note: If you are running short of time, you need not keep the marination for long time. Just mix all the ingredients of first, second and third marination and keep it for 30 mins. I like to keep the marination just as I mentioned in steps 2, 6 & 7 because the chicken becomes extra soft and juicy.
picture showing chicken after marination
- For preparing the rice, soak the rice for at least an hour.
- Start by adding water to a large bottom pan. Now add the spices i.e. cinnamon stick, bay leaf, star anise, cardamom, black pepper, cloves, salt and oil. Let it Boil.
- Add the soaked rice and cook till half done.
- Strain the rice, and preserve the stock.
- Add the cooked, strained rice to the marinated chicken.
- Take two bowls, add 2 tbsp milk to both and add orange colour to one bowl and yellow colour to another. Mix it well.
- Spread it on the rice. Add 1 cup of the reserved stock.
- Top it with 3 tbsp of ghee (optional)
- Garnish with coriander leaves, mint leaves and fried onion.
- Cover it, seal the edges and cook for 30 minutes. For the starting 10 minutes, keep it on high flame. And the next 20 minutes on low flame. For every 5~6 minutes keep turning the vessel, this will avoid the chicken to stick to the vessel.
- Check if it is done by hitting a spoon in the middle, if the spoon comes out clean, it means that we’re done. But if you can see water on the spoon, keep on low flame for another 10 minutes.
- Serve the Chicken Dum Biryani hot, with raita.
Also Check: How to make Chicken Mandi at Home