Chicken Masala in Red Gravy
Hey foodies, I am back with yet another recipe for you, all the way from Hyderabad. This variation of recipe is made of Chicken and is made in sauce that is red in colour. Chicken Masala in Red Gravy is served almost in all occasions in Hyderabad, be it, a marriage or a birthday party. It is served along with Naan or Rumali Roti or Paratha. It also goes well with Bagara rice, Cashew rice etc.
This Chicken Masala Recipe is also called ‘Laal Murgh’, Laal means Red and Murgh means Chicken. This is usually made with Chicken on Bone. At parties in Hyderabad, without this dish, the party feels incomplete. Follow my recipe and Learn How to make Chicken Masala in Red Gravy. Let’s get started!
Cooking time : 20 minutes | Preparation time : 20 minutes | Total time : 40 minutes
- Chicken – 1/2 kg
- Salt – to taste
- Ginger paste – ½ tsp
- Garlic paste – ½ tsp
- Red Chilli powder – 1 tsp
- Coriander powder – ½ tsp
- Cumin powder – ½ tsp
- Garam Masala powder – 1 tsp
- Curd – ½ cup
For the paste
- Cashews – 10 to 12
- Almonds – 6 to 8
- Onions – 4 to 5
Also Check: Mutton Harees Recipe
- Tomato sauce – 1 cup
- Vinegar – 1 tbsp
- Soy sauce – 1 tbsp
- Chilli Sauce – 1 tbsp
- Red food colour – ½ tsp
- Fenugreek leaves – ½ tsp
- Coriander leaves – 2 tsp
- Green chillies – 2 (slit)
- Oil – 2 tbsp
Procedure to prepare Chicken Masala in Red Gravy
- Marinate the Chicken Pieces with salt, ginger paste, garlic paste, coriander powder, cumin powder, garam masala powder & curd for a good 20 minutes.
- Heat 1 tbsp oil in a wok and fry the onions till they turn light brown.
- Let it cool, grind to a smooth paste along with cashews & almonds and keep it aside. Add water if needed.
- Heat 2 tbsp oil in a vessel, add the marinated chicken pieces to the vessel and cook till the chicken turns slightly pale.
- Now add the prepared paste, stir well and let it simmer for 5 minutes.
- Time to add the sauces – drop in soy sauce, vinegar, tomato sauce & chilli sauce and cook it on a low flame till the oil separates.
- As we are using Chicken on bone, it will take time for the chicken to cook.
- Now add the red food colour, to get a bright red colour.
- Crush the fenugreek leaves to make a powder, add the powder to the gravy.
- You may add slit green chillies and chopped coriander leaves.
- Serve hot with naan or rumali roti or paratha or home made chapathi or cashew rice or bagaara rice, anything of the above mentioned complement will taste best with our prepared chicken.
Also Check: Restaurant Style Butter Chicken Recipe
My Encounter with Chicken Masala in Red Gravy
I don’t remember when I had tasted this delicacy for the first time because every party we attend, this variation of Chicken Masala in Red Gravy will always be present in the menu. We never get bored with this, it is spicy and tangy at the same time, may be that is the reason, we always embed this in the menu of our parties and all the guests be it a child, a teenager or an aged person, everyone loves it.
My Hands on Chicken Masala
I learnt this from my mom. I prepared this, Chicken by following the instructions specified by mom. It turned awesome, it was worth trying.
You may like: Chicken Biryani Recipe