Today’s recipe, Chicken Tikka is a Starter, it comes from the Indian Cuisine. Tikka means bits or pieces. In this recipe, bits of Chicken are cooked and is served with fried onions. This can be made in oven too but I have made it on Stove using a Skillet. Let us start making Murgh Tikka /Chicken Tikka Recipe.
Cooking time : 20 minutes | Preparation time : 10 minutes | Total time : 30 minutes
For the powder
- Nutmeg Powder – 1 tsp
- Mace Powder – 1/8 tsp
- Ginger powder (sont powder) – 1 tsp
- Red Chilli Powder – 1 tsp
- Coriander powder – ½ tsp
- Cumin powder – ½ tsp
- Garam Masala Powder – 1 tsp
- Cinnamon Powder – ½ tsp
- Black Pepper Powder – ½ tsp
- Cloves Powder – ½ tsp
- Fenugreek Leaves Powder – ½ tsp
- Cardamom Powder – ½ tsp
- Chat Masala – ½ tsp
- Red Food Colour – ½ tsp
Also Check: Hyderabadi Red Chicken Recipe
1: We are adding very little mace powder because the fragrance of mace will be very strong, we don’t want to it to overpower the taste.
2: To prepare Fenugreek leaves powder, first roast the fenugreek leaves, cool it and crush it to make the powder.
3: You will get all the other powder in the grocery stores, if you don’t, just take appropriate amounts of the ingredients and grind them to make a powder.
Process to make the powder
- Add all the powders to a bowl and mix it. You may store this in a clean air tight bottle upto months.
For the Chicken Tikka
- Chicken – ½ kg
- Salt – to taste
- Red Chilli powder – ½ tsp
- Ginger paste – ½ tsp
- Garlic paste – ½ tsp
- Curd – 1 cup
- Lemon Juice – 1 tsp
- Above Mentioned Powder – 2 tsp
- Fried Onions
- Chat Masala (optional)
Procedure for making Chicken Tikka
- Marinate the Chicken with Salt, Red Chilli Powder, Ginger paste, Garlic paste, Lemon Juice, prepared powder, Curd and 1 tsp oil. (Use any oil you like, be it mustard oil or sunflower oil. We mostly avoid olive oil and peanut oil in this preparation.)
- Leave the Chicken in the marination for a minimum of 20 minutes.
- Heat a Skillet add a dash of oil and leave in the chicken pieces.
- Keep the flame high.
- Initially, the Chicken pieces will leave their water and the Chicken will cook in that itself. There is no need to add additional water to it.
- Keep stirring occasionally just to make sure the chicken won’t burn.
- Add a little with ghee/ butter at regular intervals.
- Cook till the entire water evaporates.
- You may add the smoke of charcoal by adding a heated charcoal to a bowl. Keep this bowl in the plate in which you are serving the Chicken Tikka, cover the plate. Remove the bowl of Charcoal.
- Serve hot with Fried Onions and Mayonnaise. Sprinkle some chat masala over the delicacy before serving for the extra punch.
Also Check: Homemade Mayo Recipe
My Encounter with Chicken Tikka
I had tasted Chicken Tikka at one of my friend’s place, it was delicious. So I had tried my hands over this Chicken Tikka Recipe for the first time when I was in second year of my Undergraduate Course. All my family members loved and praised it.
Chicken Tikka, according to me is a boneless version of Tandoori Chicken. It will be ready in 30 minutes, now that you know how to make chicken tikka, if you have your guest’s surprise visit, you surprise them by serving this starter, I’m sure your guest will not forget that taste till they visit you again.