Chicken Shami Kabab
Chicken Shami kabab is a part of Indian, Pakistani and Bangladeshi cuisine. It is usually served as a snack. But in Hyderabad, it is served along with rice and khatti daal (lentils flavoured with a sour taste)
Potato and Split Bengal Gram hold the meat together that is for binding of meat and the spices. Shami kabab is usually prepared using mutton, but I have brought to you a version of Chicken Shami Kebab. It is easy to prepare and yummy. It can be served with tomato ketchup or green chutney or any other sauce. Top it with onion rings with a dash of lemon juice. Let us get started making our shami kebab recipe!
Cooking time : 10 minutes | Preparation time : 20 minutes | Total time : 30 minutes
For Cooking the Chicken
- Chicken (boneless) – ½ kg
- Salt – to taste
- Ginger paste – ½ tsp
- Garlic paste – ½ tsp
- Split Bengal Gram (Chana daal) – 2 tbsp
- Red Chilli powder – 1 tsp
- Coriander powder – ½ tsp
- Cumin powder – ½ tsp
- Cloves – 2
- Garam Masala Powder – 1 tsp
- Potato – 1 (medium size)
- Onion – 1 (medium)
- Water – 1 cup
For Preparing the Patties
- Onion – 1 (medium)
- Coriander leaves – ½ cup
- Green Chillies – 2 (finely chopped)
- Garam masala powder – 1 tsp
- Flour (if required)
For frying the patties
- Oil – for shallow frying
- Egg – 1
- A pinch of salt
- A pinch of black pepper
Procedure to cook the mixture
- Peel the potato & onion and keep them aside.
- Soak the split bengal gram in a cup of water for about 30 minutes.
- Pressure cook the Chicken along with salt, red chilli powder, ginger paste, garlic paste, coriander powder, cumin powder, garam masala, cloves, peeled potatoes, onions, soaked split Bengal gram and a cup of water.
- Wait for 3 to 4 whistles, just to make sure the chana daal and potatoes are fully cooked.
- Remove the lid and cook on high flame.
- Cook till the entire water evaporates. Let it cool.
- Grind the mixture to a smooth paste.
Also Check: Mutton Harees Recipe
Procedure to prepare the patties
- Add the prepared mixture in a bowl, add chopped onions, chopped green chillies, chopped coriander leaves and garam masala powder.
- Knead it, so that everything mixes properly.
- Note: If you observe that the batter is very sticky, which is basically because the entire water was not evaporated. Add little flour (plain flour or wheat flour) and knead it properly.
- Check for the seasoning. If required, add salt.
- Now prepare small ball sized roundels and flatten them.
- The patties are ready to fry.
Also Check: Mixed Noodles Recipe
Procedure to Fry the Shami kabab
- In a small bowl, whisk an egg along with salt and black pepper.
- Heat oil in a non-stick pan.
- Dip the prepared patties in the whisked eggs and arrange them in the hot pan, leave place between two patties.
- Shallow fry the patties on both sides.
- Fry in batches.
- Serve hot with onion rings.
My First Encounter with Chicken Shami Kabab
As a child, I had always tried Mutton (Lamb meat) Shami at Home. For the first time, at my aunt’s place, it tried Shami Chicken Kabab.
Also Check: Tandoori Chicken Recipe without Tandoor
I am a lover of Chicken. This Shami Chicken Kebab is really easy to make and its taste is divine. Try this in your kitchen. I am sure, when it will melt in your mouth, you will definitely remember me.